Ultra-Moisturizing DIY Body Butter Recipe
In most cases, Body Butter is thicker than lotion - this is essential. You can use any of our fair trade plant butters as the base of the ultra-hydrating cream. You'll need to use more hard oils like cocoa butter or beeswax to keep the moisturizer from melting at room temperature.
This recipe uses a Homemade Oil and Flower Infusion, see the following article if you're limited on time: Here's How to Infuse Oil for Homemade Skin Care.
Body Butter Ingredients
- ½ cup of Shea Butter per Individual Batch (hard oil)
- ¼ cup of Coconut Oil per Individual Batch
- ¼ cup of Beeswax Pellets per Individual Batch (hard oil)
Homemade Oil Infusion
- Liquid Carrier Oil (e.g., Sweet Almond/ Avocado Oil/ Olive Oil)
(at least ½ cup of infused oil is needed per individual batch.)
- 1-2 cut-open Vitamin E oil capsules to keep herbal infusions stable
DIY Body Butter Directions
- The Body Butter Ingredients should be combined in a large mason jar and put into a pot of boiling water. It will serve as a double boiler if you do not have one.
- The ingredients should not get too hot (or be exposed to direct heat) in order to prevent damaging their healing properties. Our best tip is once melted to immediately remove the jar of body butter from heat.
- Once removed from heat fold in the Homemade Oil Infusion.
- Pour into a mixing bowl and let cool. (Cool overnight in the fridge or in the freezer for 1-2 hours)
- Use a mixer to whip the body butter and then spoon it into the jar. (Alternatively, you can squeeze the whipped mixture into the jar with an icing bag for a fun look!)
Homemade Oil Infusion Directions
Put all ingredients in a mason jar, cover with wax paper, screw on the lid, and store in a cool, dark place to infuse for 4-6 weeks. Shake the jar every 1-3 days for an even infusion.