Herb & Botanical Infused DIY Natural Lotion
Lotion can be as simple or luxurious as you want. Depending on your needs, you may want premium plant butters and oils, imported plant butters and oils, locally made plant butter and oils, or fair-trade plant butters and oils. Making homemade skin care gives you a wide range of options and any of them can be beneficial to your health in the long run.
Let’s jump right in!
This recipe uses a Homemade Oil and Flower Infusion, see the following article if you're limited on time: Here's How to Infuse Oil for Homemade Skin Care.
Body Butter Ingredients
- Raw, Organic Shea Butter, Raw, Cosmetic Grade Cocoa Butter, Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, or Wildcrafted Kombo Butter (at least 1 cup is needed per batch.)
- Beeswax pellets (at least 1 cup is needed per batch.)
Homemade Oil Infusion
- Liquid Carrier Oil (e.g., Sweet Almond/ Avocado Oil/ Olive Oil)
(at least ½ cup is needed per individual batch.)
- 1-2 cut-open Vitamin E oil capsules to keep herbal infusions stable.
Packaging as a DIY Gift- Basket Directions
- Pour all ingredients into their own liquid-tight jar and label them.
- In the gift basket, arrange the jars, tools, and decorative filing according to your taste.
- Gently place at the front a handwritten card with the DIY Lotion-Making Gift Basket Directions (or print out ours below.)
- Finish the basket by covering it in clear gift basket wrap and tying it with a bow!
DIY Lotion-Making Directions
- The Body Butter Ingredients should be combined in a large mason jar and put into a pot of boiling water. It will serve as a double boiler if you do not have one.
- The ingredients should be heated on low (100°F to 140°F) to prevent damaging their healing properties.
- Once removed from heat stir in the Homemade Oil Infusion.
- Fill the lotion container with the mixture and let it cool.
Homemade Oil Infusion Directions
Put all ingredients in a mason jar, cover with wax paper, screw on the lid, and store in a cool, dark place to infuse for 4-6 weeks. Shake the jar every 1-3 days for an even infusion.